The steering system is a key element to consider in any truck design because it plays an important role in the effort to maximize driver comfort and retention. OEM’s are challenged to package steering gears in smaller spaces because of larger radiators, crowded frame rails, and the desire to achieve greater wheel cuts.
Our application engineering team is ready to assist you in finding robust and lightweight steering solutions for your conventional axle or independent suspension designs. We will help you identify the proper steering gear and pitman arm combination to meet steering effort requirements. We can also assist you in the selection of pumps, draglinks, intermediate shafts, miter boxes, and columns. After the design effort, one of our engineers will visit your facility to review the steering installation. The purpose of this application review is to:
- Confirm that the installation matches the engineering design layout
- Verify that the pump will supply the proper amount of pressure and flow to the steering system
- Check that the system will steer the vehicle at rated load and to assess performance throughout the turning envelope
- Confirm that the steering system operates smoothly with the vehicle in motion and that there are no obvious handling concerns
- Assess the vehicle’s ability to dissipate heat from the steering system
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions or would like to discuss your specific project requirements with one of our application engineers.